Photo by Luo ping on Unsplash
If you intend to be a successful garments pattern maker which you think required a college degree. Then the assumption is definitely wrong. You don’t need to be a college degree holder to become a successful pattern maker. Many undergraduates in high school can do this job perfectly. This job only required a simple knowledge of math, division, addition, and subtraction. The basic standard thought in elementary grade.
To begin with, make yourself be familiar with basic tools and the rest will become simple. Another thing is to apply common sense. Good judgment and find a better solution when you meet a problem.
Here are the Basic Tools: Rule Pattern Making System
- Complete sets of measurement specifications of the base sample, trims, accessories, and special instructions.
- Cutting Table – Plain smooth for pattern draping
- Pattern Paper – use for first pattern draping
- Hard paper – use for transferring paper pattern for marker making, Use finished pattern/sewing guide
- Tape – Used to hold paper edge,
- Puncher- Used to make a hole on pattern for tying
- Tape dispenser – Holder of tape to roll smooth.
- Stapler- Use for joining pattern, papers etc.
- Tailor square – Used to make straight lines, Shortcut for measuring 1/8inch., 1/4inch., 1/2inch., and 3/4inch.
- Grade Rule- Many uses, straight lines, creating seam allowance, grading by 1/8inch., 1/4inch., 3/8inch., 1/2inch., 5/8inch.,3/4inch., 7/8inch. and 1inch.
- Compass Ruler- Use for making a circle, but most important is to mark seam allowance.
- Scissors- used to cut paper and any other light materials.
- Pierce small holes, sharp pointed – Used to transfer point below the pattern, especially for tracing paper pattern
- French curve – Different sizes for the different curve, most use in armhole, neck.
- Eraser – Pencil error remover
- Tape Measure- Used to measure numbers and centimeter.
- Tailors curve – Used to make a figure in waistline, hips, thigh, bottom, sleeves.
- Adjustable Ruler – make used to measure with exact results of numbers
- Notcher – This one is use for hard paper to create a sign as joint or symbols
- Triangle Ruler- You assured of reliable balance vertical and horizontal straight lines.
- Pencil Sharpener –The name itself
- Pencils/marker pen/Technical pen 0.5 – for marking, creating lines, tracing lines, writing etc.
- Dust brush – remove dust on your table.
- Trace wheel – tools to trace the pattern with many pointed sharp end in shape wheel.
- Wire staples – A set of the stapler.
Pattern Maker Tools
Sewing Patterns & Fashion Styles
Above list covers only a partial of many tools that used in pattern making. Many skilled pattern makers used only the least of the tools listed. A tape measure, grading ruler, pencil, eraser, scissor, cutter, triangle ruler, notcher, hole puncher. A set of the stapler, papers, tables and measurement specs.
Garments Pattern Maker